DISCLAIMER: I do NOT have formal education in music theory/music production. I’m not an expert. I’m just a girl who’s stating what she liked about BTS’ new album. That all.
My thoughts on this album wouldn’t let me sleep properly unless I write them down so this is the result.
ok so here goooooes
bulleted points bc it doesn’t sound coherent when i put it in paragraphs
1. Intro: Serendipity
- The whole track sounds whimsical, gentle, and soft.
- Jimin’s sweet voice fits the mood of the song.
- RM’s lyrics are good, as always. Using unusual words like the calico cat and blue mold as lyrics without sounding awkward is niiiice
- Cohesive with the intro’s thought
- Use of guitars and whistling as the main melody = thumbs up
- Autotuuune (I have to remind myself everytime that autotune is not necessarily a bad thing)
- RM’s part where it pauses (Take it / Take it) LIKE WHAT??? IS THERE A GLITCH????
3. Best of Me
- The song that I was really unsure about. I have mixed feelings about The Chainsmokers so yeah. But the song turned out nice.
- The song’s lyrics are sweet and loving – towards ARMYs yaaas
- The Chainsmokers’ trademarks sounds are there and it turned out quite well with the boys’ style.
- It is really a nice listen, nicer than I expected, really.
- ONE WORD: ILLEGIRL. I usually don’t like puns BUT WHEN SUNG LIKE THAT WOW I SUDDENLY LOVE PUNS
- The song captured what people feel about your dimples, Namjoon and Hobi lolol
- JUNGKOOK’S AD LIBS
- The vocal line didn’t disappoint as always
- ANOTHER WORD: SEOKJIN!!!!!!!
5. Pied Piper
- A diss track of an idol group to their fans hahahaha
- BTS and ARMY’s relationship is on another level really
- A song I can always jam to (9 out of 10 times I would dance yep)
- “Yeah, Suga” makes me feel some type of way
- The bass line is good aaah (Saw Pdogg’s vid of the bass being recorded and made me wonder why is bass an underrated instrument why)
- THAT AD LIB (is that Jimin and Jungkook) IN THE CHORUS AFTER THE BRIDGE SOUNDS SO PRETTY
- This song chastises ARMYs bc of neglecting work and studies in favor of stanning and the dudes sure didn’t like that (but stanning makes people happier so can you blame them)
- So let’s work and study well and be successful in our own endeavors alongside the boys!!!
6. Skit: BBMAs Speech
- THIS MAKES MY HEART SO FULL!!!!!!!!!
- the love yourself hint huh you sneaky sneaks
- I’m just smiling the whole time whenever I listen to this
- But the added mic drop part (did Pdogg sacrifice a mic to capture that sound)
7. Mic Drop
- HEAVY BASS YESSSSSSS
- “If you’re jealous, then sue me” -wise words from Min Suga 2k17
- “Live a life man. Good luck” -from the genius RM
- The cyphers, i can say, have now come full circle because the boys have reached the top and will continue to reach greater heights and no matter what haters say or do nothing can stop that. No need to say something else towards them.
- This track def has a lot of swaaag
8. Go Go
- With reggae and trop sounds
- The main melody (it sounds like they used a wind instrument for this) sounds a bit like save me’s main melody
- My friend heard hints of Drake’s fake love in this and in first listen yeah it kinda has that but the other elements made it different (don’t wanna say nuances bc idk if that’s the right term and I can’t give concrete examples of those elements just know that it’s there ugh /cries)
- DOUBLE TIME IN THE LAST FEW SECS YAS
- A sarcastic take on materialism so people should always look deeper and read between the lines (not just in bts’ lyrics)
9. Outro: Her
- Simple instrumentals but it makes you focus on the rap more so yaaas (the rap is a full course meal in itself hehe)
- SO SWEET IM SOFT THIS ALBUM HAS SO MANY SWEET SONGS
- Just a thought: RM wrote the hook yes but the Suga touch is there (repeating the last words of the lines) which is also evident in their other songs and in the songs in Agust D. Again, just a thought. I may be wrong so don’t take it the wrong way. (who’s paranoid af? me lol)
TOP THREE (WOW WHY AM I DOING THIS TO MYSELF)
1. Outro: Her
3. Mic Drop
General comments on the album:
- IT’S SO SO SO SO SO NICE TO HEAR JIN’S AND V’S VOICES MORE IN THIS RECORD YEEEEESSSS I LOVE THAT TYPE OF STUFF KEEP GOING
- V’s deep voice provides a nice contrast to the three’s high vocals
- The record sounds both different and new to me which is cool.
- This album is a lot lighter (in sound, lyric, even the DNA vid) than most of their previous songs which I dig. Sounds like what it feels like when a relationship is new, or when you have a new crush–giddy, and happy
- And it also sounds different than the other albums. Saw some comments that it’s not their cup of tea and that’s okay. But let’s not be “i miss your old sound” “i miss the old you” or stuff like that bc this is them, exploring diff styles and growing as artists.
- And besides, it’s better to stan artists that sound different every record rather than those who sound the same every single fucking record they put out. Bc you can only sing the same tune about the same things in the same style too many times before it becomes redundant and boring. Ok that all
- I AM EXCITED TO HEAR THE HIDDEN TRACKS!!!!! WHEN WILL MY CD ARRIVE!!!!!! WHY IS EXPRESS SHIPPING SO FUCKING EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!! I WANNA CRY OVER THE CD NOW GOD
- Okay, about the auto tune. Auto tune has got a bad rep mainly because of overuse I guess?? Because people who want to sing but can’t hold a fucking tune use auto tune to sound decent.
Some are using for stylistic purposes, for example, TPain. Yup. TPain doesn’t need auto tune. He can sing really really good. But he decided to use autotune maybe it will make people notice him more? My take on this. What i’m trying to say is in DNA’s case, it’s used for ~*style*~. We all know that they can sing good. That all.
PROPS TO THE BOYS, THE PDs, COMPOSERS, THE PEOPLE WHO PLAYED THE INSTRUMENTS (INSTRUMENTALISTS?? idk the proper term /cries), SOUND ENGINEERS FOR MAKING ANOTHER GOOD ALBUM YOU NEVER DISAPPOINT WOOP
I AM EXCITED FOR THE COMEBACK SHOW BC THERE IS A PEEK INTO THE PRODUCTION PROCESS OF THE ALBUM (if i read correctly???)
DO THAT MORE PLEASE BEC THERE ARE NERDS LIKE ME WHO WANT TO LEARN MORE AND SEE WHERE AND HOW THE MAGIC HAPPENS
I’VE GOT TO BE IN THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENS, THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENS
I’VE GOT TO BE IN THE ROOOOOOO–okay, that’s a different fandom altogether.
/end of fangirling
If you reached this part, thank you for reading this clusterfuck of a review!!!!! Maybe it doesn’t show but I actually put a lot of thought in this hahaha.
I did my best to be as objective as possible haha
If there are people reading this who are music majors or just people more knowledgeable about music, please talk to me (if I didn’t scare you away lol) I wanna learn more thank uuu
Okay. Talk soon. xx